Home' Special Magazines : Rodney Times Historical Insert Contents www.rodneytimes.co.nz
4 RODNEY TIMES, MARCH 20, 2012
Butter was first shipped to Helensville until about 1913 when
it was transported by rail from Kaiwaka. This growth resulted
in a boost to the town's population from about 194 in 1910
to more than 400 by 1930. The 2006 Census estimates the
town's population to be about 837. Changes to transport and
improvements to roads from the 1920s saw cream trucks
replacing horse and wagons.
Maungaturoto is close to the Wairau River, which ultimately
joins the Otamatea River and flows into the Kaipara Harbour.
Water transport began to decline. According to Tall Spars,
Steamers and Gum, A History of the Kaipara From Early
European Settlement 1854-1947 by Wayne Ryburn, steamers
still served river towns until the mid-1920s, by which time
rail was catering for large goods.
"By the 1930s the farmers' villages at Matakohe, Pahi and
Batley had lost out to settlements closer to the rail and main
roads. Matakohe - in the 1880s described as the main centre
for Otamatea - saw its population decline from 264 in 1906,
to 141 in 1921."
Power came to Otamatea by the late 1930s. Maungaturoto
got its first high school in 1939, "ensuring its importance as
a service town and centre for the eastern side of Otamatea
County with a population of about 458".
Blocks of land in Kaipara, including farms at Kaiwaka, were
given to soldiers returning from World War Two.
Maungaturoto is now a quiet country village still
supporting its farming community. Dairy giant Fonterra runs
its Northland plant on the edge of the town and spent $15
million upgrading the facility in 2005.
Nearby Matakohe is well-known for the The Kauri
Museum, which attracts more than 85,000
visitors annually. The museum is 50 years
old. It was opened in 1962 after 100 years of
'Albertland' settlement in Matakohe, Paparoa
and Maungaturoto. The decision to specialise
in the story of the kauri was important as this
was an integral part of local pioneering history.
Today, The Kauri Museum is an award winning, internationally
acclaimed museum. At 4,500 square metres, it is among the
largest undercover exhibitions in Northland. It is very much
a community museum with continued volunteer support.
Next to the museum is the undenominational Coates
Memorial Church and its historic pioneer graveyard grounds.
The church is a tribute to the first New Zealand-born Prime
Minister Gordon Joseph Coates, from 1925 to 1928. The
church was opened in 1950.
Paparoa is a popular hub for villagers, farmers and artisans
with a population of about 270. The town sells itself as a
"charming oasis of historical architecture, farmer's markets,
country lifestyle and natural beauty".
Kaiwaka remains a busy through town with drivers on
State Highway 1
often stopping for
Cafe Eutopia and the
Kaiwaka Cheese Shop.
At night, many of the
town's buildings give
a spectacular light
show - there's a shop,
motorbike and even
scissors. The town
hosted the Northland
Welcome Centre to
coincide with the 2011
Rugby World Cup.
The historic War Memorial Hall hosted the centres and was
painted red and upgraded for the event. Kaiwaka is well
placed to promote the scenic coastal routes north through
Mangawhai and Waipu and Matakohe, Dargaville and the
Focus On: Northern history
It was all about the dairy industry for Maungaturoto by 1902.
Waipu's history celebrated
MAUNGATUROTO • KAIWAKA• PAPAROA • MATAKOHE
The town opened its frst dairy company that year and by 1932 it saw the opening of a bigger facility. More land was also made available to settlers which
resulted in more sheep farming for wool and greater dairy production.
Waipu is called home-town to
at least 50,000 descendents
of 870 Scottish migrants from
The Scottish, Canadian and Kiwi mix resulted
when a group of Scottish migrants in the early
19th century, led by the Reverend Norman
McLeod, sailed to Nova Scotia in 1817. After
battling the extreme wilderness for 30 years
many left the cold winters behind to sail to
Austrailia between 1851 and 1859 before
moving on to New Zealand and settling in
They eventually built their own ships and
traded with Auckland in timber, kauri gum,
meat and milk. Life opened up when the
road over the Brynderwyns was completed
in 1938 after two years of major construction
employing 150 men. Vehicles no longer
had to travel through the difficult Gorge Rd.
Electricity also arrived in the late 1930s which
opened dairying up to milking machines
and water pumps. Small area schools were
closed in 1939 and students were bused to
the Waipu District High School.
During the past 100 years, agriculture
continued to be the dominant industry.
According to history book 'In Pride of the
Lion, Waipu The People and the Place', a lot
of land was grassed between 1946 and 1980.
Sheep farming declined after the 1950s when
prices fell, beef farming increased from the
1940s but "the dairy industry has been the
consistent earner and employer in farming".
The Waipu Timber Company has been a big
employer since the mid-1940s with mill and
quarry operations, cartage and contact work
along with Somners Waipu Ltd.
"These two companies had a considerable
influence on the development of Waipu
after the war and up to the late 1980s...",
according to 'In Pride of the Lion'.
Waipu now attracts tourists to its beach,
museum, glowworm caves, and fishing trips
but the area has never lost its agricultural
The Waipu Highland Games are
considered one of Northland's most
iconic events and is the largest Highland
Games in New Zealand. It is also the
home of the annual New Zealand Highland
Waipu's population was 1491 in the 2006
Census, an increase of 222 from
The opening of the Pioneer Museum, 29th January 1962
Highland games: Waipu's Highland Games are on January 1.
Kindly sponsored by The Kauri Museum and Fonterra
THE KAURI MUSEUM years
1962 - 2012
WINNER of the GRAND PACIFIC TOURS
FAVOURITE NORTH ISLAND ATTRACTION 2010/11
Phone: 09 431 7417 web: www.kaurimuseum.co.nz
Fonterra's Maungaturoto plant upgraded in 2005
BIG steps, little footprints
Fonterra Maungaturoto - striding into the future
Horse and Milk Cart outside the Maungaturoto Dairy Co-op
Banner: Maungaturoto Dairy Co. Suppliers circa 1903 - 1904
Links Archive Kumeu Show Glen Eden Shop Local Navigation Previous Page Next Page